7 EZ Ways to Keep Cool This Summer
Jul 24, 2014 2:03:49 PM
As we near August one thing is clear, it’s getting hotter. While in the middle of winter we long for these hot summer days, but by August it can get unbearably hot. If you feel like cooling off just try some of these helpful tips to chill out.
These ideas may seem like simple, no brainers, but sometimes in the high heat we lose sight of easy solutions. I have found myself on a hot day trip to the zoo with three overheated kids and kicking myself because I didn’t pack enough water or a spray bottle and being forced to pay for the overpriced water they sell there. But hindsight is 20/20 right? Here’s the scoop, the ice cream scoop that is.
- A cool treat- Any excuse for ice cream and I am there! But seriously this works, ice cream, popsicles or other frozen novelties cool you from the inside out.
- Drink lots of water- Keeping hydrated in the heat is extremely important as it can prevent heat stroke which can strike unexpectedly and can sometimes be fatal. This is especially important for the kiddos and older folks. Keep a water bottle with you at all times in the heat and refill it regularly.
- Stay out of the sun- If you can, stick to air conditioned areas during the hottest part of the day. If you have to be outside use an umbrella to shade yourself or a hand fan and stay in shady areas.
- Wear light clothing – Dress in light colored, billowy cotton fabrics. As you perspire, the quicker it will evaporate from your skin the cooler you will feel. The lighter clothing will not restrict your perspiration from evaporating. You can spritz yourself with a spray bottle to expedite the evaporation process.
- Eat lighter - Eat lighter meals with high water content. Salads, lots of fruits and vegetables instead of heavy fatty foods will help you feel cooler as your body doesn’t have to work as hard to digest them. Strangely enough, spicy foods like hot peppers can increase your perspiration when eating them and in turn help cool you off.
- Turn off appliances- Try not to use household appliances like the clothes dryer, dishwasher, oven, computer or vacuum cleaner during the hottest part of the day. Save those chores until the nighttime hours when it cools off. Or use alternatives such as hanging your sheets outside to dry instead of using the clothes dryer (smells sooo good), cooking on the grill instead of turning on your oven and hand washing dishes and drying them instead of running your dishwasher.
- Home tips- To cool off your home start with your air conditioner, make sure you clean and change your filters and seal any leaks at least once a month to increase its efficiency. Hang opaque light colored curtains or sun blocking blinds at sunny windows. Window awnings and shade trees can help at sunny areas around the outside of your home.
I hope these EZ tips help to keep you cool this summer and if you are hanging out inside to beat the heat, check out some of my past bogs for more helpful tips on saving money, packing, home décor and much more! Thanks for reading. Truly, Kristin
Post Your Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Click Here to log in